Monday, February 2, 2009

Five I'm Excited For In 09

Watchmen: I've had mixed feelings on Zach Synder. The man's movies have been stylistically gorgeous to look at , but have felt a little soulless. As a big time comic fan I was more then a little nervous that he was handed the reigns to what is regarded as pound for pound the greatest graphic novel of all time. I've been encouraged by the trailers and everything that's come out so far. Despite my doubts it looks like the guy's nailed it. I'm curious to see how they cut it to get it under the report 3 hour plus run time, that would surely be box office death. Now that Warners and Fox settled their lawsuit over the rights for the property the release date is set for March 6th 2009

The Expendables: I've only read rumors, but this is Sly Stallone next opus. Now anyone who knows me, knows I'm a big Stallone fan, and homer, but I haven't met anyone who didn't think his recent revisiting of both the Rocky and Rambo franchises didn't deliver. The Expendables aims to to be an ode to the bombastic action pictures of the 80's but with more modern effects. The reported cast sounds amazing, Stallone, Jason Stratham, Jet Li, Ben Kingsley, Forrest Whitiker, Mickey Rourke, and wait for it… Doplh Lundren. That's right. Freaking Drago. I'm so there opening weekend, and maybe this time my friends won't make me go see a matinee so they don't have to pay full price. No Release date yet.

Up: Pixar's track record is good enough to get my money, but the premise of this one makes me think it can be special. Something about it has a Goonies vibe to it. An old man, sets off to take the vacation he was supposed to take with his wife before she passed away. He latches thousands of balloons to his house, and floats off into the sky. The thing is, a boy scout looking to earn his "help the elderly" badge happened to be on his porch when the house takes off. One part tale of unfinished business, one part unlikely friendship, one part adventure, and a whole lot pixar style, makes me eager to see what Pixar has cooked up next. Release date is scheduled for May 2009

The Brothers Bloom: I've see the trailer for this a few times and really dig it. It has a fun Fish Called Wanda vibe, with a bit of Wes Anderson flavor (but less pretentious) mixed in. I'd watch Rachel Weisz read the phone book. The release has been delayed, which could be a troubling signal. I just have a feeling that this one can be really unique and fun. It’s scheduled for May 29th 2009

Scott Pilgrim Versus The World: Scott Pilgrim is a great graphic novel series by Canadian artist Bryan Lee O’Malley, that follows the main character's battle against his new girlfriends 7 evil ex boy friends. It’s fun mash up of manga, video game, and garage band culture, with a deep bench of fun supporting characters. This project seems to be attracting the perfect mix of talent including writer director Edgar Wright of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz fame, and Michael Cera as the lead. Could be a very cool indie hit. No release date yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

  ©Popcorn Brothers. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO