Saturday, February 28, 2009

Joe Is Not Psychic 17% of the Time

Thanks for being the keeper of my picks Berto.  
 
While picking 20/24 of the Oscar winners this year is plenty good enough for bragging rights, it was not good enough for sole possession of the family Oscar trophy. My dad and I had the exact same ballot picking every category the same way. Despite the long odds, no shenanigans are suspected.
 
I am haunted by my missed picks. Here's where I went wrong.
 
Foreign Film-
What I picked- Waltz with Bashir

What Won- Departures

 

This was ridiculous. Waltz with Bashir was an innovative movie, that garnered worldwide acclaim, and the only all the flims with a wide U.S. release. And it's beaten by a movie about a out of work musician that discoveries his talents for work in a funeral home. I'll pass, and secretly count this one as a win.

 
Documentary Short -The Witness

What I Picked-The Witness

What Won- Smile Pinki

 

I took a shot at this one, and considered picking Smile Pinki, a story about an poor Indian girl who gets a surgery to repair her cleft pallette. Instead I went with The Witness a story of a man who witnessed the assasination of MLK Jr. Part of me thought that Obama's innauguartion, and racial equality being on the forefront of so many americans mind would somehow push this one to the forefront of the academy's. In hindsight that chronicles such a vile event, was probably too disonent with the optimism of the time, to have that effect.

 

Short Film Animated-

What I Picked-Presto

What Won- Le Maison En Petits Cubes

 
I should have know better. Pixar always loses these categories. That said if I picked another film, I wouldnt have picked this one. It drawings looked like they were drawn with a pencil sticking out of the cartoonists butt, and the film looked like it was used as a rag.
 
Sound Mixing-

What I Picked-The Dark Knight

What Won- Slumdog Millionaire

 

I'll cop to not knowing the difference between sound editing and mixing. I just thought The Dark Knight would sweep both the sound catergories. Doh!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

  ©Popcorn Brothers. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO